PDA

View Full Version : File Open

John
May 8th, 2012, 10:06 PM
(Sorry I forget the proper/specific terminology -- window types, etc)

It would be useful if the 'file open' window could be maximized and/or resized.

At very high resolutions the file open window seems small. More importantly though it would be pleasant to have a much larger file list (currently 7) while in detail view.

I think a larger list would also make browsing 100s of files a bit easier. Perticularly in my present circumstance with 1000s of files all programatically named. Locating files is more a matter of recognizing a filename pattern change within the list..

John

pal
May 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Yes, resizeable file open/save dialog boxes would be useful.
This has been discussed before (click on the "resize" tag at the bottom of this page).

I guess Vedit uses some very old API function for dialog boxes.
API functions GetOpenFileName and GetSaveFileName display dialog boxes that can be resized.
(For customized dialog boxes, it may be necessary to set the flag OFN_ENABLESIZING).
See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646839(v=vs.85).aspx

These functions should work on Windows-98 and newer.
Windows 7 / Vista have yet another dialog box API available, but that would not work on older Windows versions.

mrvedit
May 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Pauli's comments are correct.
Years ago we briefly tried to update the File-open dialog box to use newer API functions and make it resizable, but it got very complex and we moved on to other things.
Some of the complexity came from us subclassing (customizing) many of the functions to maintain keystroke-for-keystroke compatibility with the old DOS version. That is no longer necessary.
While updating the file-open dialog box is something I too would like to see, it is currently a lower priority.

John
May 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hi Pauli, Ted.

Not a big deal. Just figured I'd bring it up despite my main file browsing and selection usually done with total commander. Works well enough on must of my systems. I still have to figure out how to approach the screen on a macbook pro 17" -- something like 2048x1080 native resolution. In the past I'd never been able to settle on DPI, font size, or other adjustments to help visability. Seems something always got wonky elsewhere.