PDA

View Full Version : Vedit Startup Folder

Scott Lambert
April 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi,

If you are like me, you use Vedit in many different folders, yet Windows only allows you to put one in the Start In box of the Vedit Icon.

So here is what you do:

Off your User_Home folder, create a folder called Startup Folders.

In this new folder, put shortcuts to all the folders you usually use Vedit in, for example: your documents folder, your user_macro folder, your batch file folder, your vedit config folder, the user_home\scribe folder, etc.

Now in your Vedit Icon properties, you put the path to this new folder in the Start In box of the vedit icon.

So the result is everytime you go file open in vedit, all the folders are one click away.

Makes life a lot easier.

Scott

ian binnie
April 13th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I rarely, if ever, use the Open menu in Vedit, or any other Windows program for that matter.
The Windows (and OSX) File Open dialog boxes are clumsy time wasters.

I use ZTreeWin for most of my file operations, navigate to the file then "Edit" - which I have configured to open in Vedit.

mrvedit
April 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Scott, I have no idea what you are trying to do.

In Win7 I can explore to any folder, right click on a file, select "Send to", select VEDIT and the file opens in VEDIT. That folder is then also the default folder for VEDIT (current directory).
Also, when you select {FILE, Open} VEDIT always default to the directory containing the currently edited file. If you have files in multiple folders open, just switch to a file in the
desired directory before you select {FILE, Open} <Ctrl-O>.

You just have to put a VEDIT shortcut into the Sendto folder.

Ted.

Scott Lambert
April 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Hi Ted,

I am trying to make File-Open more useful. It is interesting, that the replies to my original message in this thread, have all involved suggestions for avoiding having to use File-Open. It would seem then there is room for improvement. Whether my idea is an improvement is a matter of opinion. I do find it useful.

I do have Vedit in the Send To folder and do use it, also do drag and drop to the vedit icon. It depends on what I am up to, as to what is the best option.

Scott