PDA

View Full Version : Command Prompt & Pauli's Run_macro.vdm

Scott Lambert
May 29th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hi,

I am having a very strange problem.

If I use Misc > Command Prompt from the menu and then close the command prompt, and then attempt to use Pauli's run_macro.vdm, Vedit crashes.

Macro runs fine so long as I don't use the command prompt from the misc menu.

It seems to occur each time I try it.

Can anyone else replicate this problem?

Update:

The problem does not happen if I use the load/execute macro from the menu to execute run_macro.vdm, but will happen if I execute from a keystroke macro.

Update #2:

If I comment out the line:

Sort_Merge("1:99", 0, File_Size)

at or about line 292, the problem goes away. Suggests compatibility problem between sort_merge and system command? Interesting....

Update #3:

It is the second call to :GET_DIR: subroutine that causes the crash. If you do the misc > command prompt from the menu and then try using the doom.vdm attached, it basically runs most of the subrountine twice. For reasons unknown it appears the sort_merge command crashes Vedit on second go through.

(I hope I am giving Pauli or Ted something to go on here?)

Thanks

Scott

mrvedit
May 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Scott:

I cannot yet replicate the problem, but will have not yet tried the exact same version of VEDIT and Windows as in you signature.

I have CTRL-M assigned to start the run_macro.vdm.
After the MISC -> Command prompt, I just give the "dir" command and then "exit". Do you run anything significant?

Ted.

Scott Lambert
May 31st, 2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Ted,

Here is how I get the crash (works every time):

1. Start vedit

2 goto the Misc menu and select Command Prompt

3. type exit to leave command prompt (or click red X)

4. Call run_macro.vdm using a keystroke macro The two I have tried it with are:

F6 [VISUAL EXIT]Call_file(100,"run_macro.vdm")
Alt-M [VISUAL EXIT]Call_file(99,"run_macro.vdm")

Note I have already tried using a different register to run the macro and a different key combo.

Vedit should then crash.

I am not running any file open event macros, auto session restore is disabled, I am running the file configuration macro as usual.

If you still cannot duplicate, will try it with a standard out of the box ustartup and vedit.cfg.

You must do the command prompt before running macro.

Scott

Scott Lambert
May 31st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hi Again Ted,

Can also create crash by:

1. go to misc menu, and select command prompt.

2. exit command prompt

3. load say one of Scribe's dictionaries

4. do the Edit > sort > sort lines (keys options) TWICE

Scott

mrvedit
May 31st, 2013, 03:39 PM
I cannot replicate the crash either way.
I tested it with 6.23.1 (default install) under Win 7 and WinXP.
VEDIT is installed into c:\vedit on both machines.
On the Win7 machine, the temp directory is c:\users\ted\appdata\local\temp\vedittmp; everything else is under c:\vedit

There have been some report of the Sort command crashing, but those have been with Gigabyte sized files which are nearly impossible to debug.
If I can replicate this with a small file, that would be great.

Ted.

Scott Lambert
May 31st, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hi Ted,

If it helps, I have attached a dashboard.txt file. My temp folder is:

c:\users\owner\appdata\local\temp\vedittmp

Only difference I can see is my user_home is c:\user\owner\vedit, where you have everything in c:\vedit.

Well let me see if I can find a setting that makes it stop.

Scott

Scott Lambert
May 31st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hi Ted,

Well this is very strange...

I have internet Explorer 10 on my system (forced on me by auto-update). On a hunch, I rebooted my system, normally IE10 is the first program I open, but in this case, I did not open IE 10, and went directly to Vedit and try my crash again, everything worked FINE. IE 10 is the missing element on your system Ted.

Why IE 10 should cause problems with Vedit is beyond me, but as I say, the problem disappears if I don't use IE 10 before using Vedit.

Fact is weirder then fiction...

Scott

ian binnie
May 31st, 2013, 07:55 PM
The real mystery is why anyone is using IE (of any version)

Scott Lambert
June 1st, 2013, 11:11 AM
The real mystery is why anyone is using IE (of any version)

Hi Ian,

I am sure they are people on this forum who would say the same thing about any browser you care to mention.

In answer to your question:

1. IE is there installed and ready to use
2. Until v10, I have never had any problems with IE
3. It is my experience that the more software you install on a Windows system, the more unstable it becomes and the more problems one has.

However that said, I am now considering whether to install firefox or chrome. We seem to live in an era where one needs more then one browser, because no one browser can properly work with all websites.

Oh well..one must adapt...

Scott

pal
June 3rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have not been able to replicate the crash, neither on my work computer (Windows-7, IE9) nor on my home computer (Windows-XP).
I tried both with v6.23.1 and v6.24.1 on my work computer.

Maybe there is another memory access violation in Vedit. The crash may depend on what is stored in that memory location at that time.
I recall Sort_Merge() internally uses several buffers to keep more data in RAM. Maybe that has something to do with the problem.

Scott Lambert
June 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Pauli,

I am now fairly sure one will not have the problem if one is not running IE 10. Given that IE 10 comes with Windows 8, one can see that if it is not a major problem now, it will be in the near future.

I accept that there just may be something unusual about my particular setup, and the "bug" does seem to require a very particular sequence to manifest.

I hope Ted will try it on a system with IE 10, if he still can't replicate the issue, I can work around the problem.

Scott