PDA

View Full Version : Vedit Problem Solving Toolkit

Scott Lambert
November 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM
General Vedit Problem Solving Toolkit

Vedit is a very stable and well behaved program, however given the various versions of
Windows, plus 200+ Vedit configuration options, plus unlimited potential for you to create
mischief in the ustartup.vdm file, problems do sometimes arise.

This is a general problem solving ideas toolkit.

1. Try rebooting and starting Vedit as the first program. If problem goes away, great. If
problem comes back as you use the system, suggests a conflict with one of the other programs
you are using.

2. With Vedit NOT open, rename the vedit.cfg file in USER_HOME\config folder to vedit-old.cfg.
Also rename ustartup.vdm in your USER_HOME\user-mac folder to ustartup-old.vdm. Start Vedit
and see if problem goes away. If it does, this suggests you have discovered a bug that occurs
when one has your particular combination of Vedit config parameters.

Start by creating a virgin copy of the vedit.cfg file by going to the config menu and choosing
Save Config. Rename ustartup-old.vdm back to ustartup.vdm. Test Vedit for the problem, if
everything works, start slowly reconfiguring Vedit how you like, but keep a record of what you
change, so if the problem comes back, you can easily undo the last couple of changes.

If re-enabling the ustartup.vdm brought the problem back, start commenting out lines that
"might" be causing the problem, until problem goes away again.

If none of the above fixed things, rename your vedit-old.cfg and startup-old.vdm back to their
normal names.

3. (For Windows 7 users) With Vedit open, press ESC and select one of the Command Mode
options, type:

USER_HOME

and press Enter.

If you are using Windows 7, the path displayed should start with c:\users\%username% (the
value of %username% may be determined by going to MISC menu and selecting command prompt, then
typing the word set and pressing enter, look for username= ). Windows 7 is very fussy about
where files the user modifies may be. The option of having everything in c:\vedit or
c:\program files\vedit is NOT recommended (by me anyways).

If your user_home path starts with something else then c:\users\%username%, strongly suggest
an uninstall / reinstall using the multiple users install option. When asked for the location
of your user_home, have it off c:\users\%username%.

Yes, it is a huge hassle to do the uninstall/reinstall bit, but it may solve the problem.
Better to try it and at least eliminate it as the cause, so you can try something else and get
the current problem solved. Then you can get back to creating new problems.

4. Make Vedit think it is running under an earlier version of Windows. Right-click on the
Vedit shortcut and select properties, click on the compatibility tab, place a checkmark in
box labelled "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", select an earlier version of
Windows from drop-down list. Windows 7 & 8 users, try XP, XP users try Win 95 or 98. Try Vedit
again and see if problem goes away.

Other Comments:

Naturally, you should be using a recent version of Vedit. Under Windows 7 or later, Vedit
v6.21.1 should be the earliest version you are working with. Current version is always best.

If you do solve a problem using one or more of the above, please do post a description of the
problem and what you did to solve it. May help another user, or may provide insight to a
future problem.

If none of the above solves your problem, when you post a description of the problem, say what
you have already done of the above to solve it. Saves being asked to do it again, and gets
your problem solved faster (assuming there is a solution / kludge).

Finally remember to do some light stretching before throwing your computer thru a window in
disgust....safety first!

rejto
January 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks Scott for your suggestions.

Now I would like to add a footnote to your advice of,

"Yes, it is a huge hassle to do the uninstall/reinstall bit, ....."

On my Win 7, x32 machine I was caeful in following the Vdit recommendations for my USER_HOME directory.
However, I did not follow the Vedit recommendations for my HOME directory. So, I thought to remedy the situation by hand. Specifically, I put my HOME directory into Program Files(x86). In other words, I had a typo and omitted the space between Program Files and (x86). Of course, at the time I did not realize that I made a typo. My mistake, created at least 2 errors. ERROR 1: When I tried to run the menu command
{Misc, Load Exec Macro ..} the pop up dialog box gave me the list of the USER_MACRO directory. ERROR 2: I could only the forst two lines of Dashboard.vdm .

In the end it took me quite some tome to find my typo. I wish I had followed your advice of
"Yes, it is a huge hassle to do the uninstall/reinstall bit, but ..". It certainly would have saved me quite a bit of time.

-peter