PDA

View Full Version : Problems with two monitors

pal
September 27th, 2011, 04:26 AM
If a PC has two monitors in use, and Vedit is displayed on the secondary monitor, then some of the dialog boxes are displayed in the primary monitor instead of being displayed on the same monitor as Vedit.
Some of these have been fixed on 6.21, but but not all.

Examples of the dialogs that are displayed in wrong monitor:
- "CANNOT FIND: string" message box on search
- "In browse mode or file is read only" message box
- "Save current file?" dialog when closing file
- "Save file?" dialog when closing Vedit

These were wrong on v6.15 but have been fixed on 6.20
- Buffer switch dialog box
- "Help" -> "Text registers"

The following is wrong on first try after starting Vedit, but the position is remembered during session:
- "Replace?" prompt on search/replace

Examples of dialogs that are displayed on correct monitor:
- File Open dialog
- FO dialog for Load User/Tools menu

In macros, if Dialog_Input_1 location is specified relative to SCREEN, dialog is displayed in wrong monitor.
If it is relative to APP, then the dialog is in the same monitor as Vedit.
Therefore I have been changing my macros to use APP instead of SCREEN.

--
Pauli

mrvedit
September 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Interesting; I'm one of the few at my company that doesn't use dual monitors.
If you think APP is always the correct attribute for dialog boxes, I can easily change the code for the internal ones - the Windows API has similar options.

Ted.

folioite
September 28th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ted,

Everyone else uses two (or more) monitors :)

pal
September 29th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Interesting; I'm one of the few at my company that doesn't use dual monitors.
If you think APP is always the correct attribute for dialog boxes, I can easily change the code for the internal ones - the Windows API has similar options.

Ted.

Probably that is the right way to do it. However, it is good idea to remember the location of dialog boxes when the user moves them, at least during the session.
In fact, that would be a nice feature for the dialog boxes created by macros, too. That would require some means to read the position of the dialog box with macro language after exit from DI1.

pal
November 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Ted,

Have the dialog locations on secondary monitor been fixed already?
At least on the debug version you sent me some time ago (v. 6.23.1, 07/19/12) still has the problem.

For example, the "Cannot find xxx" dialog after Search operation is displayed on wrong monitor. This makes it difficult to notice it.

Further, dialog boxes that are displayed on correct monitor (File Open, Load/Exec macro) are always displayed at the left edge of screen no matter where they are moved.
But if Vedit is on primary monitor, then the position of these dialogs is remembered correctly.