PDA

View Full Version : Ruler line numbers don't update

mrvedit
November 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I have confirmed and replicated that the ruler line numbers do not immediately update after e.g. jumping to the end of the file.
This is NOT the line number on the status line, it is the line number displayed when {VIEW, Rulers} is enabled.

BTW - I apologize for my "absence" these past two weeks; I have been busy training several new support people.

Dogbert
November 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I have the same problem with my version (6.23.1). When I Page-Up, Page Down, as well as Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Home (as mrvedit mentioned) the line numbers don't update unless I start using the arrow keys but only at the point where the lines start scrolling, even then is seems that it is off by one line -- the first lines seems to alway be line #2 on the ruller (the status line # is correct, as mrvedit stated). A way to temporarily correct that is to do View --> Reset and it's fine until I scroll with the Page-Up, Page-Down, Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Home again.

I tried un uninstall, reboot and reinstall and still have the same problem.

Scott Lambert
November 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hi Dogbert,

One way around the problem is replace the line in your key file:

PgDn [PAGE DOWN]

with:

PgDn [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line+48)

48 may or may not be the correct value, you will have to experiment. But it does seem to solve the problem on my system.

Same thing can work for page-up too:

PgUp [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line-48)

Scott

Dogbert
November 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi Scott,

That is a solution, and not meaning to sound disrespectful but this sounds like a kludge. This would not work too well for me since I have two screens which have different resolutions and therefore display different number of lines. This is strange that this has worked for me in the past with an older version (I can't remember which) and Win XP. The more I use this new version, the more I am beginning to dislike it and willing to find something more useful.

Scott Lambert
November 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Dogbert,

Kludges are what makes computers useable ;)

I didn't realize you had two screens. However a simple change will help:

PgDn [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line+screen_lines-2)

A problem that can be "fixed" with a kludge is better then one that can't (your printer problem for example).

Having fun yet?

Scott

Dogbert
November 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Hi Scott,

Yes, I agree a kludge is better then nothing, but it's frustrating nonetheless to have to fix problems as we upgrade.

Your mod looks like will work for me (I have not had a chance to try it). Thanks.

chriz
November 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Dogbert,

I just tried it here on Win 7 Prof. 64 Bit with Vedit 6.24.1.

The line numbers are refreshing correctly on Ctrl-End/Home, PgUp/Dn - just a split second after the lines itself.

But for example in "Incremental Search" (Ctrl-I) the line numbers don't update...

Christian

PS: The 6.24.1 is beta and available here: http://www.vedit.com/download/beta/vpw.exe

pal
November 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM
This is strange that this has worked for me in the past with an older version (I can't remember which) and Win XP. The more I use this new version, the more I am beginning to dislike it and willing to find something more useful.
The problem is not caused by new Vedit version. It is caused by Windows 7. The recent upgrades for Vedit have mainly fixed the problems caused by Windows 7.

With version 6.24.1, the line numbers are displayed correctly.
I wonder why this version is not yet the official release.

Dogbert
November 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Pal,

That is very interesting because I called them before migrating to Win7 and they told me that 6.23.1 had the Win7 fixes and will work.

mrvedit
November 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I have been waiting for more people to test the 6.24.1 before making it an official release.
Looks like I should.
Ted.

Dogbert
November 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi mrvedit

Would you know when it does get released that I can get a registered version to replace the one I have now even though my support has expired on my current one?

afa
December 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I am late to the game on this after upgrading to 6.21.3 64 Pro a couple of years ago and suffering with the line number problem since then. 6.24.1 appears to take care of part of the problem. However, jumping to the end of a very large file (tens of thousands of lines) still leaves the line display lost and the line count as ??????.

Is a 64 bit version of 6.24.1 available?

afa
December 13th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I believe that my last comment was incorrect. 6.24.1 does appear to handle the jumps to the end and beginning of a large file correctly. My path was pointing to an earlier version. After correcting that and pointing to the 6.24.1 version, it is working as advertised.

I am using Windows 7 on a laptop and a desktop. While I use VEDIT primarily for editing program source files, I occasionally use it to peruse multi-GB census data files that no other editor that I have used can handle.

afa
December 15th, 2013, 09:57 PM
A small correction: Line numbers are not displayed correctly when jumping to the end of the file after invoking VEDIT from the command line with the -b option to lock against changes to the file (vedit -b %1). Column numbers and line numbers for jumps back to the beginning of the file and searches are handled correctly. I use batch files in command mode to invoke VEDIT as either a file editor that allows changes to be made to the file or a file lister for viewing a file while protecting against inadvertent changes to the file.

Scott Lambert
December 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hi Afa,

Not sure if the following quote from the User Manual appllies to your last message....

"VEDIT does not always know the current line number when navigating a
read-only file; the line number is then displayed as “?????”. If you must know
the line number in a browsed file, set {CONFIG, File Handling, Enable fast
browse mode} to “No”. Browsing will be slower, but the correct line number
will always be displayed."

Scott

afa
December 16th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Scott. I had forgotten about this. Yes, that does it.

Al A.

mrvedit
December 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Scott comment is correct. For instant jumps in browse-only mode, VEDIT cannot scan the file for CR/LF and therefore doesn't know the line number.

I will post a VEDIT Pro64 version of 6.24.1 later this week.

pal
December 18th, 2013, 05:57 AM
A small correction: Line numbers are not displayed correctly when jumping to the end of the file after invoking VEDIT from the command line with the -b option to lock against changes to the file (vedit -b %1). Column numbers and line numbers for jumps back to the beginning of the file and searches are handled correctly. I use batch files in command mode to invoke VEDIT as either a file editor that allows changes to be made to the file or a file lister for viewing a file while protecting against inadvertent changes to the file.
You can also open each individual file in browse mode by checking Open as read only in the File Open dialog box.

However, there is still a bug in 6.24.1: if you check that option once, all the following files will be opened in read-only mode even if you un-check the option.
I recall that the bug was already fixed, but it seems the fix has not been included in the latest version.