+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup and Proccess_ID

folioite:

The whole idea was to save the backups in backup directory. And an important improvement was to be able to use backup directory even if files have the same name.

If you close Vedit and you are prompted for saving files, you have option All, which saves all files without prompting. So they will be saved practically at the same time.
    Modern computers are fast. Saving a file on hard disk may take less than 1/100 seconds. When saving on flash disk, it is matter of microseconds.

However, Vedit does not even have 1/100 seconds resolution. I think the most accurate time stamp available on Vedit is time_tic. It gives time in milliseconds, but my tests show that the actual resolution is 15 or 16 milliseconds.
    I made a small test program:

Code:
    #1 = Time_Tick
    File_Save(NOMSG)
    #2 = Time_Tick
    Num_Ins(#1)
    Num_Ins(#2)
    After making some change so that the file needs to be re-saved, I ran the macro.
    In almost every run, #1 and #2 had the same value. Thus, if it had been saving backup files, the two files would have the same filename.

But of course, in most cases the filename would be different. That would be improvement to current situation, since now the filename is always the same when saving in the backup directory.

However, the filename with timestamp would be quite ugly, for example main.c.2012042417250120
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Pal,

You have me smiling

I agree that timestamp in the filename is "ugly" (been doing it for years).
    But, if "ugly" discouraged me, I would remove all mirrors from my view!!!!!

I would suggest that Ted place some separators in that date/time stamp to make it more readable: for example main.c.2012-0424_17:25:01.20

Of course, this might be one of several options, so, we can all choose the least-ugly solution for each of us....

I wonder if Windows would allow two files in the same folder with identical names? I would think if this occurred, the attempt to name that second file identically would be halted by Windows and the appropriate dialog would pop up, and the user would then tell Windows what to do.... This should solve the dilemma of them being saved too fast.
    folioite
    VEDIT 6.24.2, Win 10/64 Pro
    Using VEDIT daily, since 1987...

Quote Originally Posted by folioite View Post
    Pal,
    I would suggest that Ted place some separators in that date/time stamp to make it more readable: for example main.c.2012-0424_17:25:01.20

Of course, this might be one of several options, so, we can all choose the least-ugly solution for each of us....
    PLEASE if implemented DO NOT invent another format - use ISO8601

Quote Originally Posted by folioite View Post
    I wonder if Windows would allow two files in the same folder with identical names? I would think if this occurred, the attempt to name that second file identically would be halted by Windows and the appropriate dialog would pop up, and the user would then tell Windows what to do.... This should solve the dilemma of them being saved too fast.
    Well not identical, but you can have names which differ only in case.
    NTFS is case sensitive, so the files are different, but as far as Windows is concerned they are the same.
    Ian Binnie

ISO8601 is fine. But, we are only talking about backup files, so, ISO or no ISO, as long as it is easily readable, it should work
    folioite
    VEDIT 6.24.2, Win 10/64 Pro
    Using VEDIT daily, since 1987...

Buy real european passsport, driver's licence, id card online

Best quality real passports provider: w w w. buyrealpassport.cc

+ Reply to Thread