+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scribe v8.0

Hi,

Attached are updated vedit.vdf and fileext.vdf files for Scribe.

The Vedit.vdf file now contains commands with and without the underscore (so it has reg_set and regset in it). Also all the predefined string values, some of which were missing.

Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    Hi Peter,

It depends on where in the word you make the error. If it is near the beginning or end of the word, Scribe probably will not be able to give you the correct word.

For example, for the misspells deliniter and delemiter, Scribe will give you the correct word (try it using Word Lookup). If you do delimitor, Scribe probably can't give you the correct word.

However I am very pleased to find that Scribe 8.0 does give me the correct word much more often than any previous Scribe version.

Scott

Hi,

This is a progress report about Scribe revisited.

In other words, it is great that I can find my typos wihtout getting out of Vedit. So far, for all practical purposes, it found all of my typos.

Typing is not for my forte and in addtion I am an absent minded mathematician. So, I am an enthusisatic user of Scibe.

Now once a typo has been found, the next step is to correct it. Most of the time I can correct my typos on my own.

Recently, just for fun, I am asking Scribe for suggestions. Many times, Scribe gives the right sugestions. If this is not the case, usually, a little experimentation does give the right answer. In the really exceptional cases when experimentation does not work I use the built in spell checker of Google.

I hope that using Scribe you have just as much fun as I do.

-peter
    Last edited by rejto12; November 19th, 2018 at 02:09 PM.

Smile Scribe v8.0 works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    Hi,

Attached is Scribe v8.0 in two zip files, you must download both to upgrade to v8.0.

Yes, I know I said I wasn't doing anymore Scribe updates, but I felt like programming, and all the good macro ideas have already been done, so I went back to hacking Scribe and v8.0 is the result.

See enclosed readme.txt for a complete list of the MANY changes, but the three big ones are:

- the scribe.ini file now follows "standard ini file format", (see enclosed setup.txt) and with a couple of exceptions, uses the internal commands read_ini and write_ini for accessing the file. This allowed me to replace lines of code with two commands in the configuration submacros (iniread.vdm, langcfg.vdm, optmenu.vdm), hopefully speeding things up. The second advantage is it is easier for other macros to determine Scribe's current configuration, before using Scribe to spell check a block using automode.

Very Important Note : Because of the changes to the scribe.ini, you MUST use the scribe.ini that comes with v8.0. The version 7.x and earlier scribe.ini are NOT compatible with Scribe v8.0

- Scribe now comes with a Wizard in the Options Submenu to assist the user in: modifying an existing language, creating a new language, associating a language with an extension, and deleting a language. See enclosed manual.txt for instructions. The wizard should eliminated about 90% of the reasons to edit the scribe.ini manually. However some people just hate wizards, and will prefer to hack the scribe.ini file manually. The enclosed setup.txt will give you the information to do so. Wizard or Manually, it is your choice.

- the dictionary type common is now optional. It is still recommended you use englishc.vdf for the common for any language that uses English.vdf as the main. I would suggest creating and using a common dictionary if the main dictionary gets above 120K in size.

Scribe v8.0 comes in two zip files: scribe-uhs.zip and scribe-mds.zip. The short version of the install instructions is you put the contents of scribe-uhs.zip in USER_HOME\scribe and you put the contents of scribe-mds.zip in MACRO_DIR\scribe

The long version of the install instructions is in the enclosed readme.txt as usual.

I should note that once you have installed v8.0, the USER_HOME\scribe should contain all the *.vdf files (including english.vdf and englishc.vdf), the thesaurus.vtf file, the new scribe.ini, and the extensively updated readme.txt, setup.txt, manual.txt files.

(scribe-uhs.zip contains the new latex2e.vdf (now the default latex dictionary in [Latex] language) and the updated vedit.vdf. Thank You to Peter for his help on both of these files)

As always, comments, suggestions, bug reports, praise, flattery, and indications you have a pulse, are welcomed.

Thank you.

Scott

Hi,

Scribe v8.0 works like a charm for me. At the same time, I was unable to use the Lookup feature.

Actually, looking up a single word is much easier than to spell check an entire document. So, I wrote a simple macro, that I called pr_lookup.vdm to do that task. It is not as elegant as the distribution lookup.vdm inasmuch as th user has to maually select the proper dictionary file.

Now I would like to comment on the numbering of the text and numeric registers in my macro. I did not follow the the instructions in the attached resources.txt file. My reason fo this was that I am very enthusiastic about another numbering convention, also introduced by Scott. Specifically, in his subcode project Scott introduced the following numbering convention: First, he devided the registers used in a given subcode into input registers, working registers and output registers. Then, he suggested to number the input registers in the range 10-19, the working registers in the range 20-29 and the output registtersin the range 30-39. Although he made this suggestion for the numbering of the text and numeric registers for his subcode project, it can be used for any macro. Indeed I am looking at a macro as a machine that turns input registers into output registers. In fact, the first thing I want to know about a macro is what is the INPUT and what is he OUTPUT.

Now I shall upload my macro.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread