+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poor man's work around for searching the old, archived webboard.

Poor man's work around for searching the old, archived webboard.

Hello,

First and foremost a big thank you to Chrz fr archiving the old, webboard.

Well, the old webbboard can not be searched. I just stumbled across a work around.

Here are the details. I clicked on the + sign next to Topic/Conference field. Then the field did expand.
    First I tried to save the resulting .htm file in my browser. I did not get an error message, however the resulting file was useless.

Now here is the work around. Highlight the block just below the title. Then copy the resulting block into Vedit.
    The result was a working txt file. Then I repeated this procedure for many but not all Topics/Conferences.

( It just occurred to me, I could have saved some time by using the {Misc, More Macros, Clipclatch } macro. )

I shall try to upload the resulting file that I called Vedit_Webboard_Archive.txt

-peter
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rejto12; October 11th, 2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: correct a typo

Peter:

to get a list of topics there is an easier way (described for Firefox):

With the old webboard open in your browser just block Javascript (e.g. via the Addon "NoScript"). Then all topics in the left pane get expanded.

Next right-click into the left pane and choose "This Frame - Show only this frame".

The resulting page can be easily saved as html or copy/pasted as text.
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

Quote Originally Posted by chriz View Post
    Peter:

to get a list of topics there is an easier way (described for Firefox):

With the old webboard open in your browser just block Javascript (e.g. via the Addon "NoScript"). Then all topics in the left pane get expanded.

Next right-click into the left pane and choose "This Frame - Show only this frame".

The resulting page can be easily saved as html or copy/pasted as text.
    Chriz,

In the meantime I stumbled on the solution on my own. Specifically, when I used the Webboard when it was active, my Firefox browser had the "frames" as a standard feature. When I opened up the saved message from the deactivated Webboard in Vedit, I learned that my new version of Firefox no longer has "frames" installed . Installing "frames" as an Addon solved my problem.

Thanks as always,

-peter

+ Reply to Thread