+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Column blocking help

Column blocking help

It has been a while since I've used VEDIT, and, the interface and commands aren't coming back to me. I have a bunch of text files where I need to remove data in specific columns. For example, I need to remove (delete) columns 58 - 61 for all the records in the file. In certain instances, I would also like to insert blank columns. I am having trouble establishing the column block. I don't remember it being that difficult previously. Help specifies Column_Begin(n) and Column_End(n) where n is the column numbers. Also tried using the mouse to select the columns, but, noting seems to get highlighted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Try this:

position cursor at top of first column you wish to highlight

In the block menu, select: Set Column Marker

In the Goto menu, select: End of File

Use the cursor-right and cursor-left keys to select columns

To delete column(s), press the delete key

To insert columns, from the Block menu, select Insert Empty Columns

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

It works like a chaarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    Hi,

Try this:

position cursor at top of first column you wish to highlight

In the block menu, select: Set Column Marker

In the Goto menu, select: End of File

Use the cursor-right and cursor-left keys to select columns

To delete column(s), press the delete key

To insert columns, from the Block menu, select Insert Empty Columns

Scott

Hi Scott,

I also needed the {Block, Insert empty block} menu command. So, I tried your suggestion. As usual, it worked like a charm.

At first, that menu command looks tricky inasmuch as it is grayed out. After reading your instructions, I realized that there is good reason for that graying out
    Specifically, I have to tell Vedit, the size of the empty block to be inserted. First, I thought that the cursor position is enough. But clearly, I also need the
    position of the lower right corner of the empty block to be inserted. In short, your instructions mark the block, where the empty block is going to be inderted.

-peter

PS1:
    I found your empty column instructions in, Chapter 6, p.303 of the Vedit 6.0 Reference Manual. It does emphasize the usefullness of this command. I could not find it in the On-Line_Help.

PS2:
    My motivation for this formatting operation was to copy a wire gage versus cross section in mm-square table from the internet. I jus wanted to tighten the spokes on my bike. As it turns out there is
    some confusion about the markings of the spoke wrenches. Some manufacturers mark their wrenches via the Wire Gage size of the spoke. Others, mark it by the cross sectional area of the spoke in mm-square.
    Of course, none of them say the units that they use.

Incidentally, I also plan to use use floating point subroutine for my metric versus standard nut sizes conversion. At present I am using your AddCol.vdm, which uses 2-decimal places.

-peter

Forum.vedit.com spellchecker versus Scribe.

Quote Originally Posted by rejto12 View Post
    Hi Scott,

I also needed the {Block, Insert empty block} menu command. So, I tried your suggestion. As usual, it worked like a charm.

At first, that menu command looks tricky inasmuch as it is grayed out. After reading your instructions, I realized that there is good reason for that graying out
    Specifically, I have to tell Vedit, the size of the empty block to be inserted. First, I thought that the cursor position is enough. But clearly, I also need the
    position of the lower right corner of the empty block to be inserted. In short, your instructions mark the block, where the empty block is going to be inderted.

-peter

PS1:
    I found your empty column instructions in, Chapter 6, p.303 of the Vedit 6.0 Reference Manual. It does emphasize the usefulness of this command. I could not find it in the On-Line_Help.

PS2:
    My motivation for this formatting operation was to copy a wire gage versus cross section in mm-square table from the internet. I just wanted to tighten the spokes on my bike. As it turns out there is
    some confusion about the markings of the spoke wrenches. Some manufacturers mark their wrenches via the Wire Gage size of the spoke. Others, mark it by the cross sectional area of the spoke in mm-square.
    Of course, none of them say the units that they use.

Incidentally, I also plan to use use floating point subroutine for my metric versus standard nut sizes conversion. At present I am using your AddCol.vdm, which uses 2-decimal places.

-peter
    Hi Scott,

After posting the above message I used Scribe to spellcheck the word usefulness. Previously I misspelled that word and I wanted to check it in Scribe. I sure was glad to see that it is indeed in Scribe.
    I just thought to let you know.

Incidentally,the letters are too small and it is very easy to do hat. On the old BBS I had the option to edit a message after it has been sent.

IS THAT OPTION STILL AVAILABLE ?

-peter

+ Reply to Thread