+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question about the Scribe, Geman.vdf file.

A question about the Scribe, Geman.vdf file.

Hi Scott,

First, this dictionary file does a very nice job in displaying those Germam characters that are not part of the American alphabet.

Now I have a specific question. On line 20 there is a German word using the "character o with umlaut". I did put my cursor on this character and did enter the command
    Cur_Char() into the Vedit Command Window. I got the value 246. I would like to know how to enter such a character on my own ?

Actually, I have a personal interest in the character with the value 246. As you know my name is Rejto and in the original spelling the "o" was that character.
    That is to say, the "character o with umlaut".

Thanks, as always,

-peter

Quote Originally Posted by rejto12 View Post
    Hi Scott,

First, this dictionary file does a very nice job in displaying those Germam characters that are not part of the American alphabet.

Now I have a specific question. On line 20 there is a German word using the "character o with umlaut". I did put my cursor on this character and did enter the command
    Cur_Char() into the Vedit Command Window. I got the value 246. I would like to know how to enter such a character on my own ?

Actually, I have a personal interest in the character with the value 246. As you know my name is Rejto and in the original spelling the "o" was that character.
    That is to say, the "character o with umlaut".

Thanks, as always,

-peter
    Scott,

I found the answer to my question by re-reading your message #5 to the thread: What is the ASCII number of the Unicode U+228 ?
    That message of yours said, among other things that,

If you just want an easy way to enter the character why not a simple keystroke macro?

CRTL-SHFT-O [VISUAL EXIT]ins_char(186,nocr)

Now, I have to replace the high ASCII number 186 by the high ASCII number 246. Also, I do not like keystroke macros and so,
    I ended up by typing Ins_Char(246,NOCR) into the Vedit Command Window.This worked like a charm.

I also did look up the Ins_Char macro on the Vedit-In-Line help. It says that, Ins_Char(n) does such and such. In other words, it says that the Ins_Char command takes one parameter,
    n. Well, in general n denotes a positive integer. It is implied that n is at most 255, since n is a high ASCII value.

Well, the concept of a high ASII number is delicate inasmuch as it has a hidden parameter, like ANSI or OEM font. Anyway, I have ANSI fonts installed .

Thanks as always,

-peter

To enter characters not found on your keyboard, you can use Misc -> ASCII table.
    Select the caracter you want to insert and then click the Insert button.

Or you can use Edit -> Insert -> ASCII table 2.

Or you can enter the code from keyboard.
    To enter : Press and hold the Alt key, type 0246 on numeric keypad, and release Alt key.
    (Note that the leading zero is required.)
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

I missed the leading 0 on the numeric keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    To enter characters not found on your keyboard, you can use Misc -> ASCII table.
    Select the caracter you want to insert and then click the Insert button.

Or you can use Edit -> Insert -> ASCII table 2.

Or you can enter the code from keyboard.
    To enter : Press and hold the Alt key, type 0246 on numeric keypad, and release Alt key.
    (Note that the leading zero is required.)
    Thanks Pauli. I missed the leading 0 on the numeric keypad.

Now it works like a charm !

Now I am using a variation of that idea to write Hungarian emails. Here are the details.
    I have downloaded the Hungarian.Dic file from the WinEdt.org website. WinEdt is a shareware editor at WinEdt.com. The previous website is their user contributed website and it is no longer shareware.
    They have about twenty dictionary files on that websiste . They come in two versions. They call the first one ASCII, which according their definition means that it is code page dependent. The other version
    is the unicode version. I have downloaded the code page version.

So, if I need a word with a Hungarian spelling I just copy it from their Hungarian.Dic file. Actually, I have renamed that file to Hungarian.vdf since, it is compatible with Scribe.
    After I am done editing my Hungarian email in Vedit, I copy and paste it to my browser, Firefox. It seems to work like a charm.

I take I was pretty lucky with the copy and paste operation. I believe the Vedit manual says somewhere, that the copy and paste operation only works for low ASCII characters. Apparently, these special code page characters are special cases when it still works.

I also tried to automate the procedure of finding Hungarian accented characters in the Hungarian.Dic file. However, I did not succeed. So, if sometime you have some extra time, I would appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks as always,

-peter

+ Reply to Thread