Hello,

Let me start with a quotation fom the Vedit On_Line_Help, topic AMSI and OEM Characters:

"The original IBM PC represented special characters, including non-English characters such as German "umlauts", in the OEM character set.
For example, the "umlaut u" was represented by value 129 decimal (81 hex).

Windows, however, uses the ANSI character set in which all non-English characters are represented by values different from their OEM values.
For example, the "umlaut u" in the ANSI character set is represented by value 252 decimal (FC hex)."

Next, I wanted to verify each of these two statements in the ansi-utf.vdm macro file. In short, I succeeded verifying the first staement,
but not the second one. Here are the details:

Since that macro file uses hexadecimal values, I did search for FC. I had a single hit, and this is the line that I got.

FC 00 81 Latin small letter u with diaeresis

Furthermore, this line came from the // OEM Charset CodePage 437 part odf the table.

I learned that the "official name" of the umlaut has changed to diaeresis. Hence the above description says u umlaut.

Now a quotation about the table:

// The translation tables for characters corresponding to ANSI 0x80 - 0x9F
// or VEDIT OEM 0x80 - 0xFF
// One line per character:
// Two hex bytes for the target UTF-16 character
// One hex byte for the source ANSI/OEM character
// An optional description

In short the table verifies the first statement, saying that:

In the OEM character set,
for example, the "umlaut u" was represented by value 129 decimal (81 hex).

My problem is the second part of the statement saying that:

For example, the "umlaut u" in the ANSI character set is represented by value 252 decimal (FC hex).

Specifically, in the, // ANSI Charset - Code Page 1252, part of the table I did not find any FC in the third column.

Just to be on the safe side, I did verify that in the reference given in ansi-utf.vdm, the Unicode U00FC indeedd corresponds
to the " Latin small letter u with diaeresis". Incidentally, the reference http://www.alanwood.net/demos/ansi.html is a very nice one.
It also gives the corresponding html code.

I also verified that 129 decimal = 81 hex. This is that I did, in the Vedit Command window.
First type #1=0xFC and next #1 . Then I got the return value 252.

However, I forgot how to convert 252 decimal to hexadecimal.

-peter