+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Appending multiple files

Appending multiple files

Every night, I download approximately 50 files. All reside in the same directory, and, all have the same file type. (*.out), and all have the same file structure. The application which creates these files does not provide an option to aggregate or append the files into 1 large file. I'm am presently utilizing VEDIT to append the files one at a time to create the one large file I need. I know there is a better way, I just don't know how to get there.
    Is there an existing *.vdm within the macros directory which will accomplish this?
    I am able to open all the files concurrently, just can't figure out how to append all into 1 file.
    I've rummaged around the forums, and, visited the various links looking for a solution. Have not had much success in finding what I need.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Use Copy command

Use the DOS copy command:

:: this copy command concatenates all 1000+ files from five subdirectories into a single file: ALL.txt

Copy /Y D:\subdirectoryname1\*.* + D:\subdirectoryname2\*.* + D:\subdirectoryname3\*.* + D:\subdirectoryname4\*.* + D:\subdirectoryname5\*.* E:\WORK\ALL.txt
    folioite
    VEDIT 6.24.2, Win 10/64 Pro
    Using VEDIT daily, since 1987...

Thanks for the timely reply. I thought I had acknowledged this previously. This works great. DOS is alive & well, but, some of us have forgotten all about it.

+ Reply to Thread