+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needs a slight enhancement dashboard.vdm

Dashboard report on ustartup.vdm

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    Peter,

If you comment out the "if(#20==0)" lines, then only the last one has effect. That is, your version only loads ustartup.vdm from user_home directory.

However, startup.vdm only loads ustartup.vdm from user_mac directory. I don't know why dashboard searches the file from other locations. (I have not modified startup.vdm, so I assume that is how it work in current version.)
    Thanks Pauli,

Let me back track. I have two copies of ustartup.vdm installed. One is in the USER_MACRO directory and the other is in
    the USER_CFG directory. The original Dashboard_3.0 shows only the one in the USER_MACRO directory. My modified version, DASHBOARD_3.0_PR, shows both of them. In my previous email I included my modification. This was, essentially,
    comment out the "if(#20==0)" lines.

In other words, the original dashboard does not search for ustartup.vdm from other locations.

Let me emphasize again, it was my preference to search this other location.

CONCLUSION:

I shall delete the other copy of ustartup.vdm. At the same time, I wanted to be informed that I have two copies
    of ustartup.vdm installed ! The same goes for the vedit.cfg and vedit.ini files !

Now my previous oversight:

I just noticed that in my previous email I confused Startup and Ustartup.

So, erroneously, I thought to look for the ustartup.vdm search order in vedit.ini.
    Thanks for clarifying this issue by pointing out that ustartup.vdm is loaded by startup.vdm.

Thanks again,

-peter

Iam uploading an enhanced version od dashborad_3.0.vdm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    Hi Peter,

Not quite sure what you mean by an "user editable portion", the whole macro can be edited by an enduser.

It really is quite easy to add things from the predefined string values:

reg_set(20,syntax_dir) // set t-reg 20 to syntax *.syn folder
    ins_text("Syntax Folder = ") // desc of item being inserted
    reg_ins(20) // insert t-reg 20
    ins_newline(2) // insert blank line

or here is a different example:

reg_set(20,cur_dir) // set t-reg 20 to current folder
    ins_text("Current Folder = ") // desc of item being inserted
    reg_ins(20) // insert t-reg 20
    ins_newline(2) // insert blank line

Hope that helps???

Scott
    Hi,

I am in the process of uploading an enhanced version of dashboard_3.0.vdm. To avoid conflict with the original one, I called it
    dashboard_3.0_pr3.vdm.

It displays, among other things all the Vedit Configuration strings. It also displays all the Vedit File Configration Parameters.

Recently, I needed all the Vedit Configuration parameters. So, I also added the Vedit Config() command to my vrsion of dashboard.
    Note that tis command displays an awfull lot of parameters. I tried to upload the result, but the report file exceeded the limit of this
    forum. So, I commented out.

I think that any version of dashboard displays an awful lot of data. So, the display format is an issue. On the configuration strings, I am using the Config_Strings() command. In short I am using the original format of Tom and Ted. I must say that I do prefer that format to the one of Scott. In other words, I prefer to have no empty lines between the various configuration string commands.

I think it would be nice to form groups of other dashboard commands as well. However, I would like to leave this question to the professional Vedit Programmers.

Thanks as always,

-peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

A handy way to display configuration parameters and strings is to use the snippets.vdm macro.
    In default.snp, at the end, there is section Vedit which contains items for Config display (local and global) and for Config strings.
    Double-click on the item and the selected configuration parameters are displayed in a new window/buffer.
    You can then copy the parameter name and/or contents from that window into your own macro or to File Open dialog etc.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/vedit/misc.htm#snippets

Hi Pauli,

A big thank you for your suggestion. Finally, I did follow it up. It did work like a charm.

It seems to me that any command that I can put on a .mnu file I can also put on a .snp file. So, your .snp files are an enhancement of the .mnu files. Do I understand it correctly? The concept of a program snippet is very flexible. For example an entire macro is also a snippet. In other words I could put an entire macro on an .snp file. Incidentally, what are the limitations.

Thanks as always.

-peter

Peter,

However, startup.vdm only loads ustartup.vdm from user_mac directory. I don't know why dashboard searches the file from other locations. (I have not modified startup.vdm, so I assume that is how it work in current version.)
    Hi Pauli,

Thanks for pointing this out. When, I wrote this macro, I was strongly influenced by another thread. I no longer remember the exact name. All that I remember is that that particular Vedit user had a lot of unexplained behavior. One possible culprit was that there were two copies of ustartup.vdm files
    in two different directories.

In view of your comment, I should warn the user that Vedit does not look for this copy. In fact, it is a possible mistake that I edit this copy without realizing that Vedit does not read my editingThanks as always. May be even better, the message should say; "Since Vedit does not read this copy of ustartup.vdm move this copy to HOME\originals."

Thanks as always,

-peter

Buy real european passsport, driver's licence, id card online

Best quality real passports provider: w w w. buyrealpassport.cc

spam spam spam
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

+ Reply to Thread