+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scribe for German (More to come??)

Pauli,

Thank you for sharing the results of your experiment with the German Hunspell file with us.

Before learning about your experiment I did a similar one with the English one. My results were the opposite of yours.

Here are the details:
    Wikipedia gave me "doghouse" as an example of a composite word. Then I tried to look up each of the 3 words,
    dog, house and doughouse in my Firefox en-US.dic. To my great surprise I did find all 3 words.
    In other words in the English dictionary Hunspell does not use the fact doghouse is a composite word.

Now I would like to report on a similar experiment.
    I wanted to find out how Hunspell treats declined words. So I was searching for the word "houses" in en-US.dic.
    I did not find it. I took this to mean that the word houses is there in a coded form. In fact I noticed that it is "tagged".

Then I did the same experiment with the file English.vdf. There I did find the word "houses".

I also would like to report to Scott that I did not find the word Peter. I only found peter.

PS.
    I just noticed that I could say that a thought experiment of mine with the English Hunspell CONFIRMED
    Pauli's experiment with the German Hunspell file:

Here it is: My thought experiment is to use Pauli's conversion macro to convert the English Hunspell file to .vdf format.
    Then I get a perfectly correct .vdf file. However I loose words in the process. In particular, I loose declined words.

-peter

Administrator
    German doesn't use the apostrophe (or accents) as in French.
    However, it has three "umlauts":
    Traditional German also has an "eszett" which looks like a capital Beta:
    I don't know if the eszett is still used much in modern "Internet" German.

So, as long as Scribe can handle 8-bits chars, it should be able to handle German just fine.
    French is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
    German doesn't use the apostrophe (or accents) as in French.
    However, it has three "umlauts":
    Traditional German also has an "eszett" which looks like a capital Beta:
    I don't know if the eszett is still used much in modern "Internet" German.

So, as long as Scribe can handle 8-bits chars, it should be able to handle German just fine.
    French is another story.
    Hi Ted,

Thank you for the info on the apostrophe in German. I am thinking perhaps Spanish next, In the Southern US, a working knowledge of Spanish is a benefit. Will avoid French for now. Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    I think you should be able to add full line comments in the (main) dictionary file.
    As comment delimiter, you can use any character(s) that can not be part of a word, so // should work fine.
    The binary search expects the whole line to match with the word being searched. A comment would be just another line that does not match.
    Pauli,

Somehow, I missed this message of yours.
    So, a belated big thank you.

-peter

+ Reply to Thread