+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Record Quick Macro doesn't work in Vista/Win7

Administrator

Record Quick Macro doesn't work in Vista/Win7

While VEDIT 6.2 works well in Vista/Win7, one of the few known problems is that keystroke macros cannot always be recorded and played back. In detail, {MISC, Playback quick macro} will not play back keystroke macros that run dialog boxes.
    The technical reason for this is that VEDIT's playback "presses" dialog box button by simulating pressing the <Alt> key with button's selection letter. Unfortunately, Vista/Win7 consider letting a program simulate the <Alt> and <Tab> keys a security risk and therefore block it.
    NOTE: If you are willing to disable Vista/Win7's UAC (User Access Control), then all keystroke macro recording/playback will work properly.

We are considering two ways to solve this in the (hopefully near) future:

1. Determine another way to play back buttons in dialog boxes. (This can be done with lots of extra code to "Subclass" each dialog box.)

2. Convert each recorded keystroke macro into VEDIT macro language. This is more complex, but would be much more flexible and desirable.

In the mean time, I apologize for this limitation in Vista/Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
    While VEDIT 6.2 works well in Vista/Win7, one of the few known problems is that keystroke macros cannot always be recorded and played back. In detail, {MISC, Playback quick macro} will not play back keystroke macros that run dialog boxes.
    The technical reason for this is that VEDIT's playback "presses" dialog box button by simulating pressing the <Alt> key with button's selection letter. Unfortunately, Vista/Win7 consider letting a program simulate the <Alt> and <Tab> keys a security risk and therefore block it.
    Is the problem only with Quick Macro? What about Record Macro?

I think it is possible to record mouse operations, too.

For example, there is a free open source utility AutoHotkey which can be used to create keyboard and mouse macros for Windows either by recording the macro or by writing a script.
    These macros can be used to control any program.

See:
    http://www.autohotkey.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey

--
    Pauli

You are correct that {CONFIG, Keyboard layout, Record macro} will have the same macro. Since I never use the record functions, I forgot they are there.

When I am ready to work on this, I will examine how autohotkey gets around the Windows limitations.
    Ted.

+ Reply to Thread