Administrator

VEDIT 6.21.2 released with minor bug fixes

VEDIT 6.21.2 is now on the website. It has only two bug fixes:

VEDIT LOG (veditlog.txt)
    ---------

08/31/11 6.21.2
    Fix - Configuration changes were not auto-saved
    Fix - {VIEW, Word wrap} sometime had incorrect cursor position

In the first one, the configuration auto-save was saving the vedit.cfg into the HOME directory instead of the USER_CFG directory.

Ever since I implemented the {VIEW, Word wrap} function I noticed that when entering new text at the end of a file, that if <Backspace> moved the current word to the previous line that the cursor was sometimes left on the now empty line. I hope this is finally fixed.

I downloaded VEDIT 6.21.2 and installed in in XP SP3.

I started editing an existing txt file, but after a short while I got an error message
    "Line too long; {CONFIG, File handling, File type} now set to 64 (Binary)"
    and vedit locked up (it was showing 48% CPU on a dual processor system).

I killed the process and retried, but soon got the same error.

The file is nothing special, it has a number of paragraphs (long lines) with word wrap, and has been successfully edited many times in previous versions.

The error seemed to be provoked by scrolling up from the middle of the file.
    There was a similar report on the Forum, and I too have a couple of blank lines at the top.
    I am not sure if this is significant, but I often do this, to insert new stuff at the top.

I will try to replicate this today.
    When you say "with word wrap", I assume you have {VIEW, Display, Word wrap} enabled.
    I did just make a change to this code to fix a long-known bug, so perhaps I made a mistake.
    I want to resolve this before sending out the customer newsletter this week.

While playing with the mentioned "wrap mode", trying to replicate Ians problem too, I found that scrolling in a wrapped document behaves strangely.

Scrolling with mouse and scrollbar is o.k. but with cursor keys, especially PgUp/PgDown, the screen update is delayed.
    Pressing and holding PgDown for example lets the line counter increase but the text screen is "frozen" until the key is released.

I don't know whether that effect has always been there.

Christian

I noticed the delay too when the wrapped paragraph is extremely large. The text appears "frozen" because screen updating is a background task while processing the keyboard/mouse is a foreground task. It appears that calculating the wrap points is excessively CPU intensive. Strangely the slow-down occurs even when the huge paragraph is off the screen; this indicates some kind of strange bug or design flaw.
    I checked earlier 6.20 - the appearance is a bit better, but clearly still delayed.

I will start debugging this today. However, I don't consider it a show stopper - we will begin sending out our newsletter to VEDIT customers this week.

Administrator
    I worked on the delay when long paragraphs are display-wrapped on the screen. It is a design flaw that will require more time to fix. As the paragraph wraps onto more lines it is calculating more than (#-of-lines)(squared) line lengths.

Administrator
    The SPAM issue:

I am sorry for the spam which is showing up here. A few individuals appear to be registering as users and posting crap. It does not appear to be an automated process. These registrations have so far only come from China and India. Therefore, we have added to firewall to this forum where we can block entire countries or IP ranges. So far, China and India are now blocked.

I really don't know why they bother.

Unfortunately normal anti-spam measures don't seem to work.

On a bb I run, I have been forced to moderate new users 1st post to prevent this.
    Ian Binnie

Quote Originally Posted by ian binnie View Post
    I really don't know why they bother.
    Unfortunately normal anti-spam measures don't seem to work.
    On a bb I run, I have been forced to moderate new users 1st post to prevent this.
    I guess they are paid for spamming forums in order to advertise some web site.
    Probably the main purpose is to create links so that the advertised site will rise in the Google rank.

Is the captha still used? It appears to be a spam magnet.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

The SPAM issue

Quote Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
    The SPAM issue:

I am sorry for the spam which is showing up here. A few individuals appear to be registering as users and posting crap. It does not appear to be an automated process. These registrations have so far only come from China and India. Therefore, we have added to firewall to this forum where we can block entire countries or IP ranges. So far, China and India are now blocked.
    Most spammers have links in their sig.
    Maybe new members should not be allowed to have a sig at all, or not allowed to put links in their sig?
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

+ Reply to Thread