+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestion for publishing (beta) changes

Suggestion for publishing (beta) changes

Hi Ted, hi all!

I would like to suggest a few things here to improve the cooperation in working on VEDIT's macros etc.

Reason: It's a bit difficult to get all and every message here in the forum and to check if there is a change to a macro or so included.

One means to improve that may be a "sticky" thread at least here in the beta forum,
    containg only announcements of new or changed macros.

Hmmm, even that may not be an optimal solution...
    So please let me imagine a bit further.

What about a version control system for macros and other text files regarding Vedit?

To make a bit clearer what I mean I created a demo for that (@Ted: I hope it's o.k. to publish it that way. If not, please let me know and I'll delete it immediately)

I'm already using Mercurial (and TortoiseHg as GUI) - a distributed version control system for some of my software developments.

So I created a Mercurial repository containing my main Vedit installation, but without the executables and without the user parts stored under %APPDATA%).
    To fill it with a bit of life I began with Vedit 6.21.1 and went up to 6.21.3 and further.

Then I published my repository here: https://bitbucket.org/chriz/z_vedit (Bitbucket is a hosting site for Mercurial repositories.)

There are many features in Mercurial and at Bitbucket.
    I'll show only the ones I find helpful here.
    The embedded pictures are rendered a bit small, but clicking on them zooms in.

The above Bitbucket overview page lists the recent commits
    Attachment 46 so that it's always easy to tell what changed when.

Clicking on a (here the last) revision shows the contents (the diffs):
    Attachment 47
    The colored diff makes it easy to see exactly the detailed changes.

The tags shown under Downloads list the tagged revisions, for example the published versions
    Attachment 48
    All the intermediate steps (the development up to a tagged version) are not shown here.

Of course it's possible to browse the files like in Explorer:
    Attachment 49

That's all for now.

What do you think?
    Last edited by chriz; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

Administrator
    This is an excellent suggestion and thank you for the demo.
    Certainly a Sticky listing the latest macros would be easy to post. Or perhaps two Stickies - one in alphabetic order and one in chronological order.

I mentioned this to Phil (my brother and our CIO) and he suggested using Git and more specifically Github. Don't know about other VCSs, but Git allows forking a project (e.g. one specific macro) so that you could e.g. have your own versions of a VEDIT macro. Later, if I merge in your and changes from others, the fork closes and we again have just one version of the macro.

Phil also asked if VEDIT could automatically download updates, and I said "Not yet".
    I also understand that many VEDIT users wouldn't want critical macros to automatically update.

Ted.

I never used Git.
    But it's a good opportunity to try it now.
    (Funny that Bitbucket announced their new support for Git today, in addition to Mercurial).

Quote Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
    I also understand that many VEDIT users wouldn't want critical macros to automatically update.
    Absolutely! No automatic updates!
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

+ Reply to Thread