+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruler line numbers don't update

Administrator

Ruler line numbers don't update

I have confirmed and replicated that the ruler line numbers do not immediately update after e.g. jumping to the end of the file.
    This is NOT the line number on the status line, it is the line number displayed when {VIEW, Rulers} is enabled.

BTW - I apologize for my "absence" these past two weeks; I have been busy training several new support people.

I have the same problem with my version (6.23.1). When I Page-Up, Page Down, as well as Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Home (as mrvedit mentioned) the line numbers don't update unless I start using the arrow keys but only at the point where the lines start scrolling, even then is seems that it is off by one line -- the first lines seems to alway be line #2 on the ruller (the status line # is correct, as mrvedit stated). A way to temporarily correct that is to do View --> Reset and it's fine until I scroll with the Page-Up, Page-Down, Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Home again.

I tried un uninstall, reboot and reinstall and still have the same problem.
    Vedit 6.23.1 (Installed 23Jul2012)
    Windows 7 Enterprise 32Bit SP1

Hi Dogbert,

One way around the problem is replace the line in your key file:

PgDn [PAGE DOWN]

with:

PgDn [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line+48)

48 may or may not be the correct value, you will have to experiment. But it does seem to solve the problem on my system.

Same thing can work for page-up too:

PgUp [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line-48)

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Hi Scott,

That is a solution, and not meaning to sound disrespectful but this sounds like a kludge. This would not work too well for me since I have two screens which have different resolutions and therefore display different number of lines. This is strange that this has worked for me in the past with an older version (I can't remember which) and Win XP. The more I use this new version, the more I am beginning to dislike it and willing to find something more useful.

Hi Dogbert,

Kludges are what makes computers useable

I didn't realize you had two screens. However a simple change will help:

PgDn [VISUAL EXIT]goto_line(cur_line+screen_lines-2)

A problem that can be "fixed" with a kludge is better then one that can't (your printer problem for example).

Having fun yet?

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Hi Scott,

Yes, I agree a kludge is better then nothing, but it's frustrating nonetheless to have to fix problems as we upgrade.

Your mod looks like will work for me (I have not had a chance to try it). Thanks.

Hi Dogbert,

I just tried it here on Win 7 Prof. 64 Bit with Vedit 6.24.1.

The line numbers are refreshing correctly on Ctrl-End/Home, PgUp/Dn - just a split second after the lines itself.

But for example in "Incremental Search" (Ctrl-I) the line numbers don't update...

Christian

PS: The 6.24.1 is beta and available here: http://www.vedit.com/download/beta/vpw.exe
    Last edited by chriz; November 5th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    This is strange that this has worked for me in the past with an older version (I can't remember which) and Win XP. The more I use this new version, the more I am beginning to dislike it and willing to find something more useful.
    The problem is not caused by new Vedit version. It is caused by Windows 7. The recent upgrades for Vedit have mainly fixed the problems caused by Windows 7.

With version 6.24.1, the line numbers are displayed correctly.
    I wonder why this version is not yet the official release.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Hi Pal,

That is very interesting because I called them before migrating to Win7 and they told me that 6.23.1 had the Win7 fixes and will work.

Administrator
    I have been waiting for more people to test the 6.24.1 before making it an official release.
    Looks like I should.
    Ted.

+ Reply to Thread