+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forgot how to make "Last file opened" be remembered

Forgot how to make "Last file opened" be remembered

I've been using VEdit for several decades (!), but took a brief hiatus when Windows 7 came out (and I had trouble making some of the features I loved work properly -- kudos to Greenview Data for the current version!).

When I start VEdit and click the File Open icon, I start in C:\Program Files (x86)\VEdit, which is almost never where I want to start!. I navigate to My Documents and the folder/file I want to open, edit away, but when I do another File Open, I'm right back in C:\Program Files (x86)\VEdit, and have to navigate my way back to where I want to be. [Before I forget, thanks for providing a Windows-7-consistent directory tree -- at least we are staying in "familiar territory"]

I recall there was a way to have VEdit "remember" the details of the last path, and start you off where you left off. But I can't seem to remember/find the "magic button". I do have Edit-Restore enabled, but this doesn't fix the problem.

If I open a file, and while the file is open, go to File Open, I'm in the "correct" folder (meaning the folder of the current file). But if no file is open, the "default" is C:\PF\VEdit. Note that if I use the Open or Open (More) commands from the File menu, the default directory is again C:\PF\VEdit.

I did a quick (not exhaustive) search of the Help topics, but couldn't find the answer to this puzzle. I appreciate having my memory jogged ...

BS
    Bob Schor VEdit 6.21 on Windows XP (running as a VM) and Windows 7

There is no direct way to do this in Vedit.
    You could create a macro to run on startup.
    I have a menu with macros to set the default to a number of directories I use often.

Probably the easiest way to set the default startup is by editing the shortcut which starts vedit - set the "Start in" directory.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Probably the easiest way to set the default startup is by editing the shortcut which starts vedit - set the "Start in" directory.
    Sigh! Of course, but it's been even longer since I thought about customizing shortcuts ... Needless to say, changing "C:\Program Files (x86)\VEdit" to the path to My Documents works wonders!

BS
    Bob Schor VEdit 6.21 on Windows XP (running as a VM) and Windows 7

Check my Presets.vdm macro:
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/vedit/misc.htm

The macro sets keyboard configuration, User and Tools menus and other configuration settings for selected tasks (C programming, Vedit macro programming, HTML editing etc.) by simply clicking a button.
    In addition, it changes to correct directory related to that task.
    You need to edit the macro to specify the directories you want to use (and possibly other settings).

Instead of using Edit restore, I recommend using Projects. I have not used edit session restore since the introduction of projects.
    Projects allow you to have multiple named sessions to restore. Just double-click on the project in Proj tab, and you instantly return to exactly where you left last time.
    I normally use Presets.vdm macro to set initial configuration when creating new projects.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Administrator
    You can also add a command like this to the ustartup.vdm file:

chdir("c:\users\ted\documents")

However, it is probably easier to change the icon's attribute. You could then also have different icons for different starting directories.

Personally I work mostly from the Command Prompt and VEDIT defaults to starting in the directory I am in.
    Ted.

Smile A belated thank you for using Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    Check my Presets.vdm macro:
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/vedit/misc.htm

The macro sets keyboard configuration, User and Tools menus and other configuration settings for selected tasks (C programming, Vedit macro programming, HTML editing etc.) by simply clicking a button.
    In addition, it changes to correct directory related to that task.
    You need to edit the macro to specify the directories you want to use (and possibly other settings).

Instead of using Edit restore, I recommend using Projects. I have not used edit session restore since the introduction of projects.
    Projects allow you to have multiple named sessions to restore. Just double-click on the project in Proj tab, and you instantly return to exactly where you left last time.
    I normally use Presets.vdm macro to set initial configuration when creating new projects.
    Pauli,

I took up your suggeastion of using Projects some time ago.

It worksfor me great ! So, this is jsut a belated thank you.

-peter

+ Reply to Thread