+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Windows 7

New PC.

Software is not installing

vedit 6.03

Message from windos is this file is not compatible.

I need a 64 bit version.

Will an upgrade fix this problem?

Only VEDIT 6.2x and later will install and work properly on Windows 7.
    You probably do not need the VEDIT-Pro 64-bit version, regardless of whether you have the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows.
    You only the more expensive VEDIT-Pro 64-bit version if you are editing files larger than 2 Gigabytes.

I am considering upgrading to Windows 7.
    What is the situation with Windows 7 compatibility of VEDIT now? Are there still some problems?

If VEDIT can be said to be Windows 7 compatible, maybe it should be added to Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center.
    I tried to search for Vedit there, but it was not found. But for example UltraEdit was found.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    I am considering upgrading to Windows 7.
    What is the situation with Windows 7 compatibility of VEDIT now? Are there still some problems?
    I have been using Vedit 6.2x (32 bit) with Windows 7 (64bit) with no problems.

To prevent problems, I suggest two things:

1. Do a clean install of Vedit 6.2x on the new system and then move over your *.key,*.cfg, *.vdm files from the old system.

2. The Vedit User folder should be off c:\user\%username% This is the folder that hold your My Documents, My Pictures, etc.
    On my system, my user home is c:\users\owner\vedit (Strangely the install program does not default to this, you have to enter it when it asks where you want this folder.)

Consider having everything in c:\vedit or c:\program files\vedit as NOT an option under Win7. Win7 is very picky about where files the user modifies can be.

I hope that helps.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Lambert; March 30th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    I have been using Vedit 6.2x (32 bit) with Windows 7 (64bit) with no problems.

To prevent problems, I suggest two things:

1. Do a clean install of Vedit 6.2x on the new system and then move over your *.key,*.cfg, *.vdm files from the old system.

2. The Vedit User folder should be off c:\user\%username% This is the folder that hold your My Documents, My Pictures, etc.
    On my system, my user home is c:\users\owner\vedit (Strangely the install program does not default to this, you have to enter it when it asks where you want this folder.)

Consider having everything in c:\vedit or c:\program files\vedit as NOT an option under Win7. Win7 is very picky about where files the user modifies can be.

I hope that helps.

Scott
    It worked. Thank you very much!

Wow! Thank you! I've been struggling with that problem for couple of hours. Now everything works flawlessly! Thank you sir, you've saved me a lot of time and nerves

Thank you for your report.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajaritos View Post
    Wow! Thank you! I've been struggling with that problem for couple of hours. Now everything works flawlessly! Thank you sir, you've saved me a lot of time and nerves
    Hi,

Since Scott and the installw.vdm macro gives you several options, please let the rest of us know which option have you chosen.

-peter

Hey I'm running Windows 10 x64 with all updates and I'm also getting "this file is not compatible" error. Any ideas how to fix it?

Can you desscribe your problem in a little more details ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefnino View Post
    Hey I'm running Windows 10 x64 with all updates and I'm also getting "this file is not compatible" error. Any ideas how to fix it?
    Hi,

Can you desscribe your problem in a little more details ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

-peter

Some users are experiencing an installation failure when they try to download this update because of a network transmission issue. To resolve the installation failure, please download KB3193494. Update 3193494 includes the same set of fixes as this update. see mor info on http://www.storeboard.com/newyorkessays
    Writer from NY, USA. See my works on http://smart.dke.univie.ac.at/web/newyorkessays

+ Reply to Thread