+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: location of vedit.ini

Having read over this thread, I don't see any obvious problems or solutions. I know that some people who have used VEDIT for a long time have a very unique configuration and setup for many files. Since VEDIT 6.20 changed the file structure to work properly with Windows 7, some of these old custom setups don't transfer easily to the new version.

The main thing to remember is that the vedit.ini file is now in the USER_HOME directory. The very small vpw.ini file in the same directory as the vpw.exe file specifies where the USER_HOME directory is, usually with the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% environment variable. The environment for Windows XP, Vista and 7 should have this set.

Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by rhureau View Post
    OK, I'll check. Another thing is that my vedit.cfg file is quite old. Maybe it doesn't meet current standards and is failing half-way thru or something?
    Do you mean you copied your old .cfg file to new Vedit installation?
    That probably does not work. It is likely that the format has changed.
    You should instead use Transfer Configuration option while installing Vedit.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    Do you mean you copied your old .cfg file to new Vedit installation?
    That probably does not work.
    Yes, that is what I was doing. I agree, it was causing problems.

Ted, I agree that there is no problem really. Just an old-timer trying to get up to speed with the latest version. I especially had trouble getting the info about the resolution of %ALLUSERPROFILE%. I have looked in the Windows 7 system settings, but really cannot see any useful info there. Here is a snapshot (hope this works):

screensnap1.jpg

It has the alluserprofile entry there, but is showing some temp settings, not the real value. But anyway, now that I know what it is and where to find the info, I'm all set.

Administrator
    To see the environment variables, go to a command prompt and give the command "set".

Ted.

Hmmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Command prompt and set. A blast from the past! Yes, thanks, I remember that now. Works great!

Dear fellow Vedit users:

Thank you for sharing your ideas on using the Ustartup.vdm file with me. So, let me give you a self-survey:

I am intimidated editing the vedit.cfg file. Oops, I just had an idea.

At the same time, I would feel comfortable creating a USER EDITABLE section of that file and editing that part. For example, I could copy my present Ustartup.vdm file to the end of my Vedit.cfg file and that would be my "editing".

So, far this is a thought experiment only. It should be easy to implement it... Copy the present Vedit.cfg file to Vedit_(present-date).cfg and then edit the present Vedit.cfg file. If it works, great keep it. If not discard it.

-peter

I need your your advice onupgrading Win 7(32 bit) to Win 10.

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    I really do not see any reason to use ustartup.vdm.
    Anything you can set there you can set in vedit.cfg.
    The advantage of not using ustartup.vdm is that you can change settings from the Config menu.
    If you set something in ustartup.vdm, it overrides the settings you try to set from the Config menu.
    Maybe that is the problem?
    I suggest you uncheck the option Config -> Miscellaneous -> Enable USTARTUP.VDM file.
    Pauli,

My laptop running Win(64) broke. The newer laptops run Win 10. I noticed on your signature that you use both, Win 7 and Win 10.
    Did you find any Vedit issues in Win 10 ?

Thanks as always,

-peter
    Last edited by rejto12; February 10th, 2016 at 09:23 PM.

'On my system, %allusersprofile% equals c:\programdata. I am using Winows 7 64 bit.

In the Vedit help menu, you should see Dashboard Info, this gives you a report on where stuff is. If not, drop to the vedit command line, and type:

vedit_ini

and press enter. This tells you where the Vedit.ini file is that Vedit reads on startup.

While there also type: '

Hi Scott,

I am rereading your email. I just want to make sure that your are still using the %allusersprofile% , DOS/Environment variable in your Vedit installation. I am in the process of following your example.

1.: I did put this environment variable into dashboard, that I did upload to the forum under the name of dashboard_v3.0_pr4.vdm. As per our previous conversation I plan to upload it to the dashboard thread under dashboard_v4.0.vdm and make it explicit that the two treads have been merged.

2.: I also would like to point out that your(our) installation is different from the one of Ted. He is using the single user option, as per his, ustartup.vdm thread.
    I also did put that environment variable into dashboard.

3.: I vaguely remember that a Vedit User asked on this forum about this environment variable. Then Ted answered him that via the Set DOS command.
    Do you happen to remember the exact location of that thread ? I would like to tell that Vedit User that now it is available from the dashboard.vdm.

-peter

user_home

In the subfolders of this folder is where your macros and config files go.

Scott[/QUOTE]

Hi Peter,

I only referred to %allusersprofile% because that is what Rhureau referred to in his initial message in this thread.

The env. variable I look at is %userprofile%, and I have recommended people have their user_home off of %userprofile%, so for example if user Bob's %userprofile% has value of c:\users\bob, then Bob's user_home would be c:\users\bob\vedit

That is the way I have done things, and never had a problem with my Vedit installation.

I don't why one would put their user_home off %allusersprofile%, c:\programdata on my system is a hidden directory. Likewise, why bury it deep in the directory tree off %appdata% which on my system is also a hidden directory. This is the way these directories were set when I got the system.

My opinion is use %userprofile% in dashboard, not %allusersprofiles%.

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lambert View Post
    Hi Peter,

I only referred to %allusersprofile% because that is what Rhureau referred to in his initial message in this thread.

The env. variable I look at is %userprofile%, and I have recommended people have their user_home off of %userprofile%, so for example if user Bob's %userprofile% has value of c:\users\bob, then Bob's user_home would be c:\users\bob\vedit

That is the way I have done things, and never had a problem with my Vedit installation.

I don't why one would put their user_home off %allusersprofile%, c:\programdata on my system is a hidden directory. Likewise, why bury it deep in the directory tree off %appdata% which on my system is also a hidden directory. This is the way these directories were set when I got the system.

My opinion is use %userprofile% in dashboard, not %allusersprofiles%.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

I have completely missed your point saying that:

"I only referred to %allusersprofile% because that is what Rhureau referred to in his initial message in this thread."

I have learned quite a bit from the rest of your message as well. In particular, I learned that

" My opinion is use %userprofile% in dashboard, not %allusersprofiles% "

Here is my reaction to your message:

I shall continue to align the installation part of dashboard with the installw.vdm options. At the same time, I shall add the %userprofile% environment variable to dashboard.

Incidentally, can I refer to this as Scott's preference ?

P.S.
    I have already added a reference to Pauli Lindgren into dashboard. Specifically, Pauli does not use ustartup.vdm.
    In other words, he prefers to do his customization by editing the various Vedit Configuration files.
    ( In short I shall continue using ustartup.vdm. At the same time, I shall study Pauli's messages on the subject.)

Thanks again, I have learned quite a lot from your message.

-peter
    Last edited by rejto12; March 17th, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread