+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: location of vedit.ini

location of vedit.ini

I was having trouble with the vedit font. If I started it normally, it would open with the normal font, but if I started it by double-clicking a file, I would get a much smaller font.

So, I decided to look at the vedit.ini file to see what font was being used. Well, then things got confusing because even though I am using a current version of Vedit (6.21.3), installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\vedit\, the vedit.ini was only found in an old install directory c:\vedit.

So it seemed kind of hard to know exactly what was being used by the program under such cirmcumstances. So I decided to start over. I uninstalled vedit completely using the uninstall procedure under the Start menu, telling it to essentially remove everything (registry entries, etc).

I also copied everything from the old c:\vedit directory into a c:\vedit_save save directory with a different name, so I could get my old keyboard stuff, configs, etc after reinstalling. The I manually deleted the c:\vedit directory.

Then I got the latest install and installed it, using the ALL option, which puts it in c:\Program Files (x86)\vedit.

Meanwhile, I got the latest version of the executable (6.22.1) and put that in the Program Files dir.

OK. So now I want to get my configuration, keyboard, user macros, etc back to normal, presumably by copying stuff from my c:\vedit_save directory. I see in the readme file that vedit.ini is here:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\vedit

Here is my question: how do I know what %ALLUSERSPROFILE% resolves to?

I looked on my system and there is no Environment Variable with that name. So I tried doing a search for the vedit/ini file. Alas, I found it in TWO places:

c:\Users\All Users\vedit\vedit.ini
    c:\ProgramData\vedit\vedit.ini

Each one of these directories has what looks like a complete set of user configuration files., with the user-mac directory, the config dir, etc. They appear identical.

So I am still unclear which directory I should copy all my saved configuration files, keyboard file, user macros, etc. to.

I'd appreciate any help.

Hi,

On my system, %allusersprofile% equals c:\programdata. I am using Winows 7 64 bit.

In the Vedit help menu, you should see Dashboard Info, this gives you a report on where stuff is. If not, drop to the vedit command line, and type:

vedit_ini

and press enter. This tells you where the Vedit.ini file is that Vedit reads on startup.

While there also type:

user_home

In the subfolders of this folder is where your macros and config files go.

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Thanks very much Scott. I will give that a try. I did actually go to the vedit command line, but then didn't know what to try. Doh! Thanks!

Me again. Gee, I thought I was an experienced Vedit user (since 1989), but I have just spent over an hour trying to get Vedit to pick up my color configuration from the vedit.cfg file, and it absolutely will not do it.

I have one vedit.ini file in the vedit scheme now:

c:\ProgramData\vedit\vedit.ini

it has this in it:

UserCfgDir=C:\ProgramData\vedit\config

In that folder, I have my vedit.cfg file (the only place I have one, either under c:\Program Files (x86)\vedit\ or C:\ProgramData\vedit\

In the vedit.cfg file, I have the following 2 lines (among many others):

Config( C_TEXT, "Color for edited text ", 128 )
    Config( U_AUTO_CFG, "Auto-save config", 0 )

And yet, everytime I start Vedit, I get edited text color of 31, and the Auto-save Config check box is checked.

I noticed that the Help file shows C_W_TEXT as the keyword for edited text, so I changed it to that in the vedit.cfg file, but that made no difference either.

Actually, even if I manually load the vedit.cfg file I have in C:\ProgramData\vedit\ (using Config>Load config), it makes no difference in my editing colors. It remains 31.

I guess I am mis-remembering how Vedit works, or maybe there has been some change with the new version in how these files and configs work, but I am totally confused. Can someone point me in the right direction, please. I prefer to not have to reconfigure all my colors using the Config color screens, if I can avoid it).
    Last edited by rhureau; January 16th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Hi,

Remember that the colour values may be changed by commands in the file type config files in user_home\file-cfg folder. May be that is the problem.

I would suggest trying putting the colour config statements in the ustartup.vdm file and see if they work there. (sort of a work-around)

Just 2 quick ideas off the top of my head......

Scott

OK, I'll check. Another thing is that my vedit.cfg file is quite old. Maybe it doesn't meet current standards and is failing half-way thru or something?

I'm thinking maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it manually (via the config menu in the program), save it, and then I'll have a good latest config file. I did notice that if I make a change via the config menu, it works the next time I run it, and the changed values are in the C:\ProgramData\vedit\vedit.cfg . This is what is making me think that my old vedit.cfg file may be faulty.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Hi,

One way, you might get a pristine vedit.cfg is to temp rename your config.cfg file to config.old and rename your ustartup.vdm oldstartup.vdm and then start Vedit and from the config menu do a Save Config. This should give you a config file with only the default values built into Vedit.

What I do is ignore the config file and just do all my customizing in the ustartup.vdm file. Just copy the commands you need from the config.cfg file to the ustartup.vdm. Makes debugging easier because you can see everything you have changed and comment out lines until things work again.

Scott

Yeah, I see the value of using ustartup. I've been kind of shying away from that because I had multiple ustartup.vdm files all over the place and was not sure which was being used. I have since then carefully read the info in the startup.vdm file about where it looks for ustartup and have whittled it down to ONE ustartup.vdm (I think. Jeeezzz!). So maybe I will use that.

Thanks again!

I really do not see any reason to use ustartup.vdm.
    Anything you can set there you can set in vedit.cfg.
    The advantage of not using ustartup.vdm is that you can change settings from the Config menu.
    If you set something in ustartup.vdm, it overrides the settings you try to set from the Config menu.
    Maybe that is the problem?
    I suggest you uncheck the option Config -> Miscellaneous -> Enable USTARTUP.VDM file.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

I know that the problem isn't in my ustartup file, because I only have used that for loading a user menu and for setting the default Open directory. I never even thought of the idea of putting config statements in it till I read Scott's suggestion.

I do see what you mean about the ustartup file complicating the config picture since it overrides whatever you set in the config menu. Thanks for the suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread