+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug in TAB handling

Hybrid View

Bug in TAB handling

Hi!

I think I found a bug in VEDIT's TAB handling.
    (AFAIR it used to work in older versions but I can't tell when it broke.)

If the TABs aren't set to a fixed width but to individual positions VEDIT doesn't place the cursor correctly any more.
    Or typed in characters aren't inserted at cursor position...

I'll try to describe - using an example:

A test file is attached.
    Line 1 contains same 'x' to show the desired TAB positions.
    Line 2 is the text with several TAB characters to be formatted.

(Usually I'm using a macro setting the appropriate configuration.)

For easy replication here:
    This is the command to set the TAB configuration:
    config_tab(16,47,88,133,157,181,204,230,278,312,33 9,367,399)

It's inluded in the attched file as well.

Just open the attached text file,
    copy the config_tab command,
    open VEDIT's command line,
    insert and execute the config_tab command
    and resume editing.

Then jump to line 2 (the text to be formatted).
    In the beginning (a lot of whitespace and then some real text) all is working fine.
    But starting in about column 401 it's getting crazy. Display is wrong, inserted characters are placed elsewhere.

Or goto to EOL of line 2.
    It seems that there is some whitespace what is not the case in the file.
    Begin highlighting that "whitespace" with shift + cursor-left.
    The "whitespace" converts to the real text now...

Please let me know if someone is able to replicate that.

Christian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chriz; January 16th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

I could not replicate the problem.
    On my computer, the tabs are displayed correctly until column 399 (the last specified tab position).
    After that, the tab characters are displayed as "TAB" (character 09).
    There is no whitespace at the end of the line.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Thank you Pauli for trying!

I now installed a completely new VEDIT in another directory and couldn't replicate it as well that way - in the first run.

But you mentioned the "TAB" character display and that was a good hint.

The choosen font makes the difference!

With both VEDIT installations using almost any font different from VEDIT ANSI/OEM I can replicate the problem.
    For example FIXEDSYS or COURIER NEW are showing the strange behaviour I described in the first message.
    I think those fonts are displaying simply nothing instead of some sort of TAB and VEDIT gets out of sync then.

Christian
    Last edited by chriz; January 18th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
    Used VEDIT for more than 20 years, finally 6.24.1 on Windows 7. Now I'm on Linux, without VEDIT...

On my system, Fixedsys and Courier New work correctly.
    However, Courier Thai, Lucida Sans Typewriter and MS Mincho do cause problem.

Looks like the problem only occurs with TrueType fonts, but not with OpenType fonts or bitmapped fonts.

The actual width of the line may be wider or narrower than what Vedit thinks, depending on the font.
    It appears that the TAB character is either wider or narrower than other characters.

You can see this even without setting tab positions.
    Set screen display mode to 4 (press Alt-D 4 times, or select {CONFIG, Characters/Cursors, Screen display mode} = 4.
    You can see this more clearly if you have a font that does display the Tab character (for example MS Mincho).
    Or compare a line that uses tabs to a line where tabs are filled with spaces.
    Pauli -- Using Vedit 6.24.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit) and on Windows 10 (64 bit)

Fortunately I still have an older PC with Windows XP available and tried to replicate it there with the current VEDIT version.
    And you are right: Fixedsys and Courier New are working fine (the other fonts I don't have).

So something changed from XP to Win7 regarding fonts and VEDIT seems to require a fix to handle that.

Until then it's possible to use VEDIT's own fonts as workaround.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    On my system, Fixedsys and Courier New work correctly.
    However, Courier Thai, Lucida Sans Typewriter and MS Mincho do cause problem.

Looks like the problem only occurs with TrueType fonts, but not with OpenType fonts or bitmapped fonts.

The actual width of the line may be wider or narrower than what Vedit thinks, depending on the font.
    It appears that the TAB character is either wider or narrower than other characters.

You can see this even without setting tab positions.
    Set screen display mode to 4 (press Alt-D 4 times, or select {CONFIG, Characters/Cursors, Screen display mode} = 4.
    You can see this more clearly if you have a font that does display the Tab character (for example MS Mincho).
    Or compare a line that uses tabs to a line where tabs are filled with spaces.
    See the following article I wrote for a discussion of fonts (This refers to ZTreeWin, but the principles apply):-
    http://ztwiki.com/Selecting+a+custom...ighlight=fonts

The situation with vedit is different but it still requires a monospaced font.

I don't know why you are using Thai, but unless you are using an Asian version of Windows it will not work due to the use of multibyte characters.
    Ian Binnie

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I don't know why you are using Thai, but unless you are using an Asian version of Windows it will not work due to the use of multibyte characters.
    I am not using Thai font. I simply tested different fonts to help debug the problem.
    The result was that:
    - The problem only occurs with TrueType fonts, but not with OpenType fonts or bitmapped fonts
    - The problem is the width of Tab character

The Thai font works just fine with Vedit, except for the width of Tab character. It does include ASCII set.

Bug in TAB handling

Im getting a weird bug or something where every time I input a note on guitar tab, it instead inputs the number with another number either before or after the number I tried to input. For example, on the bottom line, I will press the "1" key and instead get "31" on the tab, then move to the next note and press "2" and instead get "12", an so on. It seems to be random and I have no idea what could cause this. Ive tried resetting it multiple times and changing instruments, as well as opening old projects where this problem didnt occur but it remains even then. Any ideas?
    I suggest you try robot trading forex for successful trading

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyejqj View Post
    Im getting a weird bug or something where every time I input a note on guitar tab, it instead inputs the number with another number either before or after the number I tried to input. For example, on the bottom line, I will press the "1" key and instead get "31" on the tab, then move to the next note and press "2" and instead get "12", an so on. It seems to be random and I have no idea what could cause this. Ive tried resetting it multiple times and changing instruments, as well as opening old projects where this problem didnt occur but it remains even then. Any ideas?
    Hello,

Please tell me what do you mean by a " guitar tab ".

Thanks,

-peter

Peter, that message from Dannyejqj is spam.
    Is there nobody deleting these spam messages any more?

+ Reply to Thread