+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VEDIT 6.24.2 and other news

Administrator

VEDIT 6.24.2 and other news

We posted a tiny update 6.24.2 on the website this month; the change are tiny compared to 6.22.

Bigger news is that I finally got VEDIT to compile under Visual Studio 2012 (VS2012) and have fixed the problems related to the newer-style File-Open/Save dialog boxes which have the Favorite-Links pane on the left side. All previous versions were compiled with ancient Visual Studio 6.0.

I hope that the libraries in VS2012 will better handle the permission issues related to using e.g. "c:\Program Data\Vedit" and other problem related to Win 7/8. I am working on those now.

I had a junior programmer create an .msi installation package, but it took too long, the result was not very good and I let him go.
    The goal is to create a basic installation where the first time VEDIT is run, it will complete the installation.
    So far, I cannot get the InstallShield-lite built into VS2012 to give me the option of installing VEDIT into c:\vedit, the location many people like and the location we recommend for EBCDIC conversion customers.

Ted Green.

Have you tried Inno Setup (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php)? It's free and has a lot of features. A former colleague of mine has been using it for several years for some freeware.

Hi Ted,

Another idea is a macro that transfers the Vedit installation to another location after it has been installed.

Scott
    Using Vedit 6.21.3, (32 bit), dated 9/12/11 running on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Administrator
    Transferring a VEDIT installation is nearly impossible due to the directory privileges implemented in Vista and later.
    Windows detects an installation process, prompts for permission from the user and then "relaxes" the privileges.
    Unless you ran VEDIT in Administrative mode, you could not transfer the installation.

Administrator
    I briefly examined Inno Setup, but since it does not support .msi files, it does not interest me.
    From their FAQ page:

Q: Will it support Windows Installer in the future?

A: At the present time, there are no plans for a Windows Installer edition of Inno Setup. "Supporting" Windows Installer would likely involve a near-complete rewrite of the program.

+ Reply to Thread